Cavities are caused by the destruction of your tooth enamel to such an extent as to form a small hole in your tooth. Tooth enamel is most easily damaged by products such as sugar. When you eat simple sugars, the bacteria in your mouth breaks down the ingredient into acids that can eat through tooth enamel.
Are you taking care of your teeth to prevent cavities? Here are some helpful reminders to ensure your smile remains cavity-free:
– Maintain regular oral health care habits that include brushing your teeth and gums twice daily and flossing your teeth at least once daily with ADA or dentist-approved cleaning tools.
– Exercise caution when eating foods and snacks that can easily stick to your teeth and gums, such as sticky sweets, chewy snacks, and gummy treats.
– Studies have shown that chewing dentist-approved sugarless gum for at least twenty minutes after a meal can spur the creation of saliva in your mouth, which has been shown to help stop cavities.
– Schedule appointments with our team at Clearpoint Dentistry for oral exams and bi-annual professional cleanings.
– For supplementary oral health protection, add a water flosser or mouthwash to your oral hygiene routine.
– Eat healthy and helpful foods and snacks during mealtime, and limit snacking between meals.
Dr. Lupy D. Gonzalez and our team want to keep your mouth healthy and cavity-free. If you would like to book an appointment to come see us at our dentist office in Houston, Texas, please call us at 281-487-2400 to speak with a member of our team. We are here to help you get the healthy smile of your dreams!